Sep 27, 2023
40 Under 40 Healthcare Panel
On Friday, September 22, the Augusta University/University of Georgia Medical Partnership hosted a panel of healthcare professionals from UGA’s 40 Under 40—an award that celebrates younger UGA alumni who are leading the pack in their industries and communities.
The event featured the panelists answering questions from guests and giving their expert advice to those pursuing the healthcare field.
The panel included Dr. Ebony Caldwell, the Medical Partnership’s first 40 Under 40 honoree.
Caldwell completed her dual BSHP/MPH in UGA’s College of Public Health in 2013 before receiving her MD from the Medical Partnership in 2018. She then completed her general psychiatry residency at Howard University Hospital where she served as chief resident. Caldwell is currently completing her addiction psychiatry fellowship at Yale School of Medicine.
She also serves on the American Academy of Addiction Psychiatry Board of Directors and has been breaking barriers and shattering stigma since she entered the world of mental well-being.
“You can’t separate mental health care and physical health care because your physical health can affect your mental and vice versa,” said Caldwell. “There’s so much stigma in our country regarding mental health, particularly in communities like black and brown communities, underserved communities, and marginalized communities. And for me, I went into the mental health field because I didn’t see anybody who looked like me talking about these issues. I realized that it takes more people like me going into the field so that people can feel empowered to be able to say, ‘I’m not okay, and I have to get the help that I need.’”
Caldwell hoped that the panel of experts benefited those in attendance who are pursuing healthcare.
“I hope bringing everyone together was beneficial for especially the medical students to hear from different perspectives and different aspects, not only of medicine but healthcare in general.”
Panelists and their UGA school/college:
· Jason Brown, MD: Franklin College of Arts and Sciences, School of Public and International Affairs, Jere W. Morehead Honors College
· Ebony Caldwell, MD: College of Public Health, Jere W. Morehead Honors College, Augusta University/University of Georgia Medical Partnership
· Tionya Lawrence, NP: Franklin College of Arts and Sciences
· R. Allen Ligon Jr., MD: Mary Frances Early College of Education
· Kurinji Pandiyan, PhD: Franklin College of Arts and Sciences, Jere W. Morehead Honors College
· Delishia Pittman, PhD: Mary Frances Early College of Education
· Ashlee Nicole Tillery, MD: College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, Jere W. Morehead Honors College
· Taylor Winklemen – Cagle, MPH, DVM: College of Public Health, College of Veterinary Medicine
Caldwell said the Medical Partnership still holds a place in her heart, and she likes to give back to her alma mater when she can.
“I always love to come back here and interact with the students,” she said. “I try to have lunch with someone or just answer questions because I’ve benefited so much from my experience here, and I just like to give back in any way I can.”